Thursday, October 21, 2010

"C" is for Cookie, that's good enough for me!

Chocolate Chip Cookies #10 from I'm Just Here for More Food: Food x Mixing + Heat = Baking, by Alton Brown

It was time for some cookies, you know what I mean? So I flipped to this recipe from Alton Brown's baking book. A couple interesting things about this recipe:

First, Brown organized this book by mixing method, rather than categories like pies, cakes, cookies, etc. He explains that most cookie recipes use the "creaming method," where the fat is creamed with the sugars. However, this recipe was under the "muffin method" section, which from what I understand means that the liquid fat (in this case, melted butter) is blended with the other wet ingredients, then added to the dry ingredients.

Second, Brown lists his recipes in a SUPER scientific way, with the ingredient info organized in charts, and the instructions in concise steps. He lists ingredients by weight and volume, however he strongly recommends using the weights. I don't have a kitchen scale so I was stuck with the volumes.

This recipe calls for what I consider to be a lot of butter, 2 sticks (1 cup), which when compared to the amount of dough it makes, seems like a lot. However, this butter is not wasted and creates a very rich cookie. Normally I can throw down cookies like nothing, but these are so filling that I could only have 2 with a glass of milk (and these were small cookies by my standards.) There is so much butter in these cookies that there is no way they would ever stick to the pan. They literally just slid off when slightly bumped.

If you've read my previous posts, you know that I've had salt problems. The problems being that we didn't have the right kind of salt!! This was adversely effecting the quality of my baked goods. So I picked up some regular old iodized salt and THANK GOODNESS. If I had ruined these cookies with the wrong salt it would have been an unforgivable travesty.


Like I said, it was time for some cookies, and these were delicious. Great out of the oven (or reheated for a few seconds in the microwave) with a glass of ice cold milk. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment